Should an emergency situation ever arise within the district or in the immediate area while school is in session, Manheim Central School District has a detailed plan formulated to respond to both human-caused and natural disasters. Please know that Manheim Central School District is taking measures to provide a safe environment for our students.
In the case of an emergency occurring during school hours, students will be cared for at the school or at a predetermined evacuation site until a parent, guardian, or designated emergency contact person can pick them up, or until it is safe to transport children to their homes by school district transportation. The Manheim Central School District requests that all parents, guardians, and emergency contacts follow the below guidelines during an emergency.
During an Emergency:
- Do not call the school. - Telephone lines will be needed for emergency purposes. Parents and guardians will be notified of the situation by a district representative. This notification may occur by phone, internet, letter, and/or general media. Emergency alerts will also be highly visible on the District website.
- When notified, parents/guardians or a responsible adult who has been identified on the "School Emergency Information Card", may pick up their child(ren). All individuals picking up child(ren) must show I.D and sign for the child(ren). If you are authorizing another person who is identified on your emergency card to assume responsibility for your child, please consider the following:
- They are 18 years of age or older.
- They are usually home during the day.
- They could walk to school if necessary.
- They are known to your child.
- They are both aware of and able to assume this responsibility.
- Please note that individuals other than parent/guardian/emergency contact will not be permitted to pick up a child.
- If it becomes necessary to pick up your child(ren), the District will notify parent/guardian where you can pick up your child(ren) known as the reunification site. It is important that parent/guardian/emergency contact persons follow the reunification guidelines as communicated and posted at the reunification site. School representatives will also be available to assist you at the reunification site. If you have any concerns or questions, please contact your child’s school.
To download a printable copy of this information, please click here.